GLENDALE, CO (June 9, 2022) – USA Rugby Training & Education is excited to announce it will be conducting a World Rugby Level 3 Coaching course (formerly L400) for the first time in several seasons.
Slated to begin in August 2022 and covering six sessions over several months, the World Rugby Level 3 Coaching course will support coaches that are engaged in highly competitive levels of rugby through a full season of play, and will focus on planning, delivery and review.
“It has been several years since World Rugby’s highest level of coach qualification was offered in the USA,” said USA Rugby Director of Training & Education, Jamie McGregor, “It is our intent to run this course annually, with an intake of 12 people per year on an ongoing basis. This will help us generate a pipeline of qualified coaches to support and develop our top level players, both domestically and internationally.”
The course will be delivered in a combination of virtual and in-person sessions. There is a significant number of activities to be completed through the course, and the notional number of learning hours is 150 according to World Rugby. Barring any unforeseen circumstances, it is expected that attending coaches will complete all sessions and course work in a timely manner.
World Rugby Level 3 Coaching Course Overview
|Session 1||Sun Aug 7, 6-7:30pm MT||Virtual Session|
|Session 2||In-person Level 3 Camp (combined with the USA Rugby Academy)||Chula Vista, CA|
|Sept 3, 8:30am-5pm PT|
|Sept 4, 8:30am-5pm PT|
|Sept 5, 8:30am-12:30pm PT|
|Session 3||Sun Oct 2, 6-7:30pm MT||Virtual Session|
|Session 4||Sun Nov 6, 6-7:30pm MT||Virtual Session|
|Session 5||Sun Dec 4, 6-7:30pm MT||Virtual Session|
|Session 6||Sun Feb 5, 6-7:30pm MT||Virtual Session|
|Pod Meetings||TBD by each pod||TBD by each pod|
The course modules consist of: Selection and Succession Planning, Developing a Team Profile, Game Profile, Patterns of Play, Game Plan, Achievement Strategies, Sports Science, and Risk Management.
USA Rugby anticipates a significant number of applications and have assembled a selection panel that consists of Men’s Eagles Strength & Conditioning Coach Huw Bevan, USA Eagle Alum and former USA National Team Coach Liz Kirk, USA Eagle Alum and USA Rugby Training & Education Trainer Nancy Fitz and College Rugby Association of America President and World Rugby Level 3 Coach Paul Keeler, to assess and select 12 participants. Placement in the course will include five applicants from Major League Rugby and the Women’s Premier League, five applications from USA Rugby collegiate and club programs, and two from USA Rugby High Performance coaching staff.
World Rugby Level 3 Course Prerequisites
- Must be a head coach of an adult team, or be an age grade representative coach, both with regular video footage of your players and competitions.
- Must be over 21 years of age.
- Must hold World Rugby Level 2 Coaching certification or equivalent
- Competency-based assessment using formal transcript
- There will be an in-person assessment in the coach’s own coaching environment, to be scheduled between March and July 2023.
$750. Flights to and from San Diego for Level 3 Camp are to be covered by the participant. All additional costs at the camp including accommodation and meals will be covered by USA Rugby.
- Quality of application task
- Team Environment/Context (To ensure the coaches are working with a senior team in a lead role throughout an entire season)
- Past coaching experience and education
- Demonstrated commitment to educating and supporting the broader rugby community
Applications must include:
- A letter of endorsement from your Geographic Union, league administrators (WPL / MLR) or collegiate conference.
- A coaching resume including personal contact information
- A cover letter (must include identification of team that the coach is currently working with and that will be used for the application of the course tasks)
- The application Player Profiling Task completed using athletes of the coach’s current program. This task can be completed using Fifteens or Sevens athletes.
Please email the above four documents to email@example.com before COB Thursday June 30th. Successful candidates will be notified shortly afterward.