USA Rugby Training & Education has announced that applications have opened for the next intake of the World Rugby Level 3 Coaching course (formerly L400), following a successful program in 2022.
Beginning with an in-person camp over the Labor Day weekend combined with the USA Rugby Academy, and covering seven sessions over several months, the World Rugby Level 3 Coaching course will support coaches that are engaged in highly competitive levels of rugby through a full season of play, and will focus on planning, delivery and review.
“We had a great group of coaches last year and we have taken lessons from the 2022 course to make the upcoming program even more valuable for our participants,” said USA Rugby Director of Training & Education, Jamie McGregor, “It is our intent that this course will help us generate a pipeline of qualified coaches to support and develop our top level players, both at a domestic and international level.”
The course will be delivered in a combination of virtual and in-person sessions. There is a significant number of activities to be completed throughout the course, and the notional number of learning hours is 150 according to World Rugby.
World Rugby Level 3 Coaching Course Overview
|Session 1||Sun Aug 27, 6-7pm MT||Virtual Session|
|Session 2||In-person Level 3 Camp (combined with the USA Rugby Academy)||Charlotte, NC|
|Sept 2, 8:30am-5pm ET|
|Sept 3, 8:30am-5pm ET|
|Sept 4, 8:30am-12:30pm ET|
|Session 3||Sun Oct 1, 6-8pm MT||Virtual Session|
|Session 4||Sun Nov 5, 6-8pm MT||Virtual Session|
|Session 5||Sun Dec 3, 6-8pm MT||Virtual Session|
|Session 6||Sun Feb 4, 6-8pm MT||Virtual Session|
|Session 7||Sun Mar 3, 6-8pm MT||Virtual Session|
|Pod Meetings||TBD by each pod||TBD by each pod|
There are places in the course earmarked for applicants from Major League Rugby and the Women’s Premier League, USA Rugby collegiate and club programs, and USA Rugby’s High Performance coaching staff. USA Rugby has also been in discussions with the Women's Rugby Coaches & Referees Association (WRCRA) to have a number of scholarship positions available for women applicants in this intake.
World Rugby Level 3 Course Prerequisites
- Must be a coach of an adult team operating at a performance level, or be an age grade representative coach, both with regular video footage of your players and competitions.
- Must be over 21 years of age.
- Must hold World Rugby Level 2 Coaching certification or equivalent
- Competency-based assessment using formal transcript
- There will be an in-person assessment in the coach’s own coaching environment, to be scheduled between March and August 2024.
- $750. Flights to and from Charlotte for Level 3 Camp are to be covered by the participant.
- All other costs at the camp including transfers, accommodation and meals will be covered by USA Rugby.
- Quality of application task
- Team Environment/Context (To ensure the coaches are working with a senior team in a lead role throughout an entire season)
- Past coaching experience and education
- Demonstrated commitment to educating and supporting the broader rugby community
Applications must include:
- A letter of endorsement from your Geographic Union, League administrators (WPL / MLR) or Collegiate conference.
- A coaching resume, including personal contact information
- A cover letter (must include identification of team that the coach is currently working with and that will be used for the application of the course tasks)
- The application Player Profiling Task completed using athletes of the coach’s current program. This task can be completed using Fifteens or Sevens athletes.
Please email the above four documents to firstname.lastname@example.org before COB Monday 24 July. Successful candidates will be notified by Friday July 28th.